MPS Music Academy - Spring 2024
If your student attends lessons during the 4:20 and 5:20 sessions, we have revised our schedule starting February 8th!
All of our grade 4:20 and 5:20 students will join us at 4:30 as we kick off our BRAND NEW ACADEMY SPRING ENSEMBLES!
Students who have participated in the first two lesson sessions will now move into large ensemble opportunities directed by our MPS team! See revised schedule plan:
MIDDLE SCHOOL LESSONS AT 6:20 and 7:20 REMAIN UNCHANGED
Lessons/Ensembles will take place at Maloney High School, located at 121 Gravel Street in Meriden. Maloney is a very big campus, so please follow this map and drop-off/pick-up only at the designated locations.
Students must bring their instrument, their method book and any music they are working on in class. All students should also bring a pencil with them.
Students must be picked up by the same authorized adults that pick your student up from school each day. If you need different people to pick-up your student please let your school office know so they are on record in PowerSchool.
Ensembles are 90 minutes in length and lessons are 50 minutes in length. Please arrive to Maloney 5 minutes before your lesson/rehearsal time and go directly to your classroom. Teachers will be in the drop-off area to assist students and direct them to classroom areas. Students will be held in the main hallway at the end of lessons until rides arrive. Please pick-up promptly from the Maloney bus loop.
The MPS Arts Academy is a District Program offering free music lessons/ensembles to Meriden Public Schools students in grades 4 through 8.
Lessons and ensembles are an essential part of an instrumental or vocal music education. Lessons allow for advanced training on specific instruments and provide enhanced instruction beyond what is taught in a band, orchestra or choral setting. We are thrilled to offer this experience to our student at no cost to MPS families.
- Lessons are taught by MPS Music Faculty and Staff, and all lessons are taught by specialists on each instrument in the band, orchestra and choir
- Lessons are taught in small group settings with all students on the same instrument.
- Students must be enrolled in their school band, orchestra or choir program in order to participate in this program.
- Semester 1 runs from October 26th through December 14th
- Semester 2 runs from January 11 through May 16.
- More specific time/logistics information will be sent to you once registered.
- Lessons will all take place at Maloney High School in the Arts Wing of the building. This is the right, front side of the building when you are on Gravel Street.
- Elementary Lessons will take place on Thursdays from 4-6pm
- Elementary Lesson Times are 4:20-5:10 or 5:20-6:10
- Middle School Lessons will take place on Thursdays from 6-8pm
- Middle School Lesson Times are 6:20-7:10 or 7:20-8:10
- We are not offering high school lessons at this time
Lessons are free. We just request that if your student registers for lessons, they come each week and not attend sporadically.
The program is coordinated by Brian Cyr, K-12 Fine Arts Coordinator for Visual Art, Music & Theater. Please reach out with any questions.