MPS Music Academy
(This page is formatted to view on a mobile device)
FALL SEMESTER PARENT/GUARDIAN INFORMATION:
Please review the lesson schedule carefully and ensure that you have located your students name and designated lesson date and time. Teachers last names are listed on the spreadsheet. You are welcome to contact them at any time through this link: MPS ARTS TEACHERS CONTACT PAGE
(You have been assigned a TUESDAY OR THURSDAY LESSON and a ONE-HOUR LESSON BLOCK
Lessons begin on September 18 and 20 and take place weekly until mid-December. The second semester will begin in mid-January.
Lessons will take place at Maloney High School, located at 121 Gravel Street in Meriden. Maloney is a very big campus, so please follow this map and drop-off/pick-up only at the designated locations.
Students must bring their instrument, their method book and any music they are working on in class. All students should also bring a pencil with them.
Students must be picked up by the same authorized adults that pick your student up from school each day. If you need different people to pick-up your student please let your school office know so they are on record in PowerSchool.
Lessons are one-hour in length. Please arrive to Maloney 10-minutes before your lesson time and go directly to your classroom. Teachers will be in the drop-off area to assist students and direct them to classroom areas. Students will be held in the main hallway at the end of lessons until rides arrive. Please pick-up promptly from the Maloney bus loop.
The MPS Arts Academy is a District Program offering free music lessons to Meriden Public Schools students in grades 4 through 8.
Lessons are an essential part of an instrumental or vocal music education. Lessons allow for advanced training on specific instruments and provide enhanced instruction beyond what is taught in a band, orchestra or choral setting. We are thrilled to offer this experience to our student at no cost to MPS families.
- Lessons are taught by MPS Music Faculty and Staff, and all lessons are taught by specialists on each instrument in the band, orchestra and choir
- Lessons are taught in small group settings with all students on the same instrument.
- Students must be enrolled in their school band, orchestra or choir program in order to participate in this program.
- Lessons begin the week of October 18th and will run in two semesters: October 18 through December 15th and January 10 through May 18. More specific time/logistics information will be sent to you once registered.
- Lessons will all take place at Maloney High School in the Arts Wing of the building. This is the right, front side of the building when you are on Gravel Street.
- Elementary Lessons will take place on Tuesdays from 4-6pm
- Middle School Lessons will take place on Thursdays from 6-8pm
- We are not offering high school lessons at this time
Lessons are free. We just request that if your student registers for lessons, they come each week and not attend sporadically.
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED FOR FALL SEMESTER.
REGISTRATION WILL RESUME IN DECEMBER FOR OUR SECOND SEMESTER IN JANUARY!
The program is coordinate by Brian Cyr, K-12 Fine Arts Coordinator for Visual Art, Music & Theater. Please reach out with any questions.